Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Something I'm Thinking About

Grant has inspired me. He has inspired me to be a better mom and wife. He also has inspired me to actually do something with my dream of helping people with my sewing. I love to sew. I'm no great seamstress by any means but I'm not terrible either. We had my aunt make us hats, gowns and blankets for Grant. 2 of each so that we could keep one and keep one on Grant. Having something that he wore or was wrapped in is very healing. The hospital where he was born also had a little tiny crocheted hat that he wore in most of his pictures. It was precious. Our hospital has people that donate little outfits for the NICU babies and little crocheted hats for them. They also have people that donate beautiful blankets and quilts for the babies in the NICU and children in the hospital. However, they don't have anything donated for the tiniest little angels or specifically for the child who go to meet Jesus. Just thinking about a family finding out that their baby has died and then not having items small enough for the child to wear or items that they can take home without leaving the baby without breaks my heart.

There is an organization that I have fallen in love with called Teeny Tears. You can find their website here: Teeny Tears This amazing organization makes and distributes the cutest, tiniest diapers I have ever seen to hospitals for bereaved families. These diapers are so that the infants can have their pictures taken with dignity for the families to keep. All families who have lost a baby treasure whatever photos they have of their little ones. This group also has free patterns for other people to make the diapers and distribute them locally. None of this is done for monetary profit. It's all done to support newly grieving families and I LOVE IT! They also have a woman who will contact your local hospital and find out how many diapers they need for you. Amazing. To help this organization just go to their web page. You can have money donated to their organization by shopping online just like you may normally do and it won't cost you a cent. Find out about that here: Teeny Tears Online Shopping Donations

So here is my idea. It is not fully formed yet and I am not 100% sure how to make it all happen. I want to make diapers, tiny blankets (some as small as 9"x9"), and hats to distribute to my hospital solely for the purpose of babies who have gone to Jesus. This includes babies that die in the NICU. I want to make 2 of everything and make them match so the parents can pick what pattern they want but will also have something to keep exactly like the one that the baby wore. I've even considered making tiny little sleeper gowns for the tiniest babies. I'm going to need help. This is a HUGE project and in my brain it seems even larger. Eventually I would like to have these being donated to all the local hospitals here where I live. I want to be able to bless other peoples lives in the darkest times like my aunt was able to bless us with something as simple as clothes for their baby to wear with dignity. If you would like to help in any way (sewing items, fabric donations, monetary donations to buy fabric, or just prayer for my endeavor) I would appreciate it. Another mom who lost her son is doing something similar where she lives so if you happen to live in North Carolina maybe you could help her instead :) Dancing in the Rain 

10 comments:

  1. Love it, I'm in. Maybe we can go shopping together for some of the fabric, I'd be more than happy to donate fabric for your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I think its great that you want to do this for other mommies and daddies!! I know that it is so amazing to have things, tangible things, to hold onto after your baby has died. I am so excited for you! ....I am planning on starting a ministry through my church that will minister to local mommies and daddies who have had a baby pass away. I am still in the very early stages of that. Anyway, I think about the bible verse that says that God comforts us and we are to comfort others the way he has given us comfort. This is what you will be doing for these families. What a wonderful thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stormy, That is amazing! I've thought of at least trying to let my church know that I am here if a family needs me as a resource. I love how our babies have made us strive to honor God that much more, they really are amazing little boys!

      Delete
  3. Kristy this is sooo great. Like I said my hospital had nothing for Jonathan and I was so heartbroken he left us naked. Honestly it is one of my biggest regrets and makes me so very sad to think about. I really want to do it also just for babies that will not survive. There is such an emptiness leaving the hospital without your baby. Honestly it is the worst feeling I have ever felt. I know that every little thing means SO MUCH! I pray that many people support you and help you! I still have not asked my MIL uuugggg gotta do that :) Hugs to you my friend you are a beautiful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I know you'll do a great job and those families will really appreciate your hard work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing the same thing!! I just cut out about 10 diapers from the patterns, I am going to make small crochet blankets and hats too. I can not wait. I also have friends that have miscarried but cant sew that are donating fabric and stuff to me to help as well. Such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great gift and blessing this will be to other hurting families! I have been wanting to learn how to sew/crochet/knit so I can do the same thing. The tiny little crocheted hat we got from the hospital after Chase was born (that was way too big for him) was still so special to me. I carried it around with me for the first couple weeks after his death. Maybe if I finally push myself how to learn, I'll ask you for some tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea... you're an inspiration xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just in love with this! We donated knitted hats in honor of Cole Jayden on his birthday this year. We were able to donate about 20 knitted hats to the hospital and NICU where Cole was born (and all my other children)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are truly an inspiring person. I commend you for that and your strong faith. I would like to donate some fabric so when you get started, let me know which typea work best or anything else u need for this awesome idea. Email me what u need and ur address to
    rrwcmb@yahoo.com
    I would love to help. - Roni B.

    ReplyDelete