Thursday, May 17, 2012

Don't belong

Sometimes I feel so out of place. Like I dont belong anywhere. I see moms with their toddlers and think "I have a 3yr old" but then I think "but I dont get to keep him, I have to give him back even though most involved don't think it's what is best". I see people who are pregnant and think "I was just pregnant, still should be but instead my baby lives in heaven now." I wonder if these strangers can see the pain behind my smile or if to them I am just a lady smiling and waving hi to their child. I look around and wonder, are any of these people like me? Or are they all blissfully unaware of the tragedy of losing their child?

When we found out we were pregnant with Grant we both said that Gods timing was perfect. We knew our foster kids would be leaving, most likely at the end of April, and we knew how hard that was going to be. We both said that God gave us Grant so we would have a child we could keep and have something to look forward to in our sadness of losing D and A. Apparently we were wrong. I'm not sure what Gods plans are but I know that He works things for His good for those who love Him.

Early in my pregnancy with Grant I had some bleeding. I was told this was normal but it still scared me. I remember praying then that Grant was my baby but that he wasn't really mine, God was letting me have him for a time to raise him but that he was actually Gods and I told God then exactly that. I recognized that God was just "loaning" Grant to us. When I told God that I understood this and that Grant was His I didn't really think that I would have to give Grant back so soon. I don't know if I would have so willingly said to God that he could have Grant if I knew what I know now. Maybe that is part of the plan. I was learning then to put my complete trust in God like I never had before. I was giving Him one of the most important people in my life. God didn't take Grant from us. I don't think God did this to us. I do think that God knew it was going to happen. Bad things happen, they have since the fall of man and will continue to until Christ returns. The beauty of it is that God will work the bad things together into something beautiful if we continue to follow and trust in him. Our story isn't over yet. I have no idea what the next chapter says and honestly that terrifies me, but I know there is another chapter and I know that by the end of the story beautiful things will have come of this tragedy.

I still feel like I don't belong. Like I'm walking around in a world that I don't really fit in to. I look at people and wonder if they know grief like I do and hope that they don't. I'm part of a "club" that no one should be a part of and I feel like these women are the only ones that truly understand what I'm saying.

10 comments:

  1. Love you, Kristy! And I personally can't wait to read "the next chapter". Hugs, Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's hoping the next chapter is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy, I know what you mean by being out side and wanting others to know. Sometimes at the market I want to scream MY BABY DIED AND I AM REALLY SAD! I am so sorry for this chapter in your life of having to day goodbye to your foster kids and not having Grant. I pray with all of my heart not only that God will carry you through but that he would pour out unimaginable blessings!!! Your love and trust in Jesus inspires and moves my heart. YOU ARE A BLESSING to me and many, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know how you feel... we're all together in this journey of grief, but so wish that we didn't have to be united by this pain. Thinking of you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog post really spoke to me this morning. I, too, often feel like I am walking around in a world that I don't completely fit into. After almost 5 years of Infertility and preparing for a possible reunification with our 2 foster kiddos, I understand the pain of watching "normal life" happen for everyone else around us, wondering if they can see the deep pain in my eyes. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your baby and upcoming reunification of D and A. We will be praying for you and your husband during this time, that God will give you comfort and peace above all else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you summed up my heart right here! Very beautifully worded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH Kristy you're right it is a club that no one should ever have to be a part of!I'm so glad you stopped by my blog.it sounds like you and your husband have amazing hearts.I will be praying for both of you and if you ever need to talk I am here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristy,
    I know exactly how you feel. When I had to stay home for 2 weeks after Clara was born I went to a craft store everyday after dropping off my son at school. I cannot tell you haw broken I felt seeing the new moms there walking with their newborns and pregnant women out buying picture frames and everything. It killed me and I know people thought I was crazy for walking around the store crying. I didn't belong and I still don't... We are not alone. We belong with eachother, to support and love eachother. To understand better than anyone else, to love eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristy, I just wanted to stop in and say I am thinking of you and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my dear friend, I know what you mean. This summer, when we were on vacation, we were walking around Niagara Falls and I kept seeing all these mommies and hurting. But then I wondered if they were like me. How many had infertility? How many of these women have had children die?...And I was like Tesha, what she said...I wanted to yell at people "My baby died!" I still want to sometimes....when I see pictures of me and Todd and Silas, we look like a normal family, but we arent! We are missing someone! And we always will be. We are far from a "normal" family....When I was pregnant with Gideon, I prayed the same thing you did with Grant. I didnt know either that we would have to give him back so soon....You are so right, God didnt do this to us. We live in a fallen world where death occurs. God is sovereign and knew what would happen, none of this surprised him. But horrible things happen, we live in a world of pain and joy. And only until Jesus comes back will we live in a world of just joy.
    I am praying for you, hon.

    ReplyDelete