Saturday, September 6, 2008

Update

Yesterday my mom was diagnosed with Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS). This diagnosis carries with it a 55% chance of survival. There is nothing the doctors can do to prevent it or to cure it. They can only support the patient while their body heals itself. This was the diagnosis we were praying would not occur. Yesterday was very rough due to this and the fact that last night she seemed to be taking a turn for the worse. At one point we were asked to leave because her blood pressure was so low, her oxygen sats were quickly falling and they were taking the crash cart into her room with lots of people just in case. Today she seems to be doing better and hopefully she is steadily improving from here on out. We are all emotionally and physically exhausted and it is making it hard to be patient with the doctors, situation and each other. We are continuing having problems dealing with my dad, who during all of this show's very little true remorse for the things said to my mom in the past. During this time we are also trying to figure out how to pay my parents electric bill so the electricity will remain on, the water bill and a number of other things that are now in the legal channels and my dad says he has nothing to do with. Maybe I shouldn't be talking about this here, but I need somewhere to vent without venting to my sister or my husband, both of which are amazing. It amazes me how the strong people in the family really show up when things are tough and the people that should be being the strong ones turn out to dissapoint you. I am getting so exhausted and my prayer is that I am able to rest at night and know that the doctors and nurses are taking care of my mom and that she will still be there in the morning. Next post will be a brief update and a tribute to my mom, who happens to be one of the greatest women I have ever known.

Until~

No comments:

Post a Comment