Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Reason I Do What I Do

I was reminded yesterday why I love what I do and why I do my job. I had a baby the other day that was supposed to be healthy but over the few days they were staying in the hospital after being born they continued to get more and more sick. We got to the point where I had to put them in the NICU because they  needed IV antibiotics and mom and dad were going to have to go home. I know the parents lived quite a ways away so I managed to get them one more night in the hospital so they could be close to their baby. I was walking through part of the hospital and the mom happened to be walking near me. She said my name and then said she just wanted to thank me for taking such good care of her baby and for thinking about the parents needs. Her mom was with her and she only spoke spanish. I proceeded to talk to Grandma in spanish and she told me thank you for taking care of her family. It was such an amazing feeling to know that I had to tell these parents that they were going to have to leave their baby but that they understood it was in their babies best interest. It was nice to be appreciated even after having to deliver some bad news. Going into that room to tell those parents that their baby was sick and needed intensive care treatment was one of the hardest things I've had to do; but having them say thank you a few days later and to hear the baby is doing well makes it all worth it. I think God daily for the job he has allowed me to have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment